When it comes to your furry friend's health, it is essential to be prepared to deal with emergency situations, such as in cases of intoxicated dog.
This is because, in some situations, the symptoms of an intoxicated dog will depend on the toxic substance involved. Therefore, it is crucial to know what to do when you notice symptoms of poisoning in dogs. To find out, keep reading!
Main causes of poisoning in dogs
Dogs are curious by nature and this can cause them to have access to toxic substances from food, objects, cleaning products and even toxic plants.
Furthermore, it is necessary for the tutor to pay close attention, as there is a series of precautions with the health of pets, since there are many differences in physiology and metabolism between dogs and humans, as a result, they end up becoming more sensitive.
Among the main causes of poisoning are:
Foods that can poison dogs
They exist prohibited foods for dogsas in some cases the pet's body is unable to metabolize them, thus generating intoxication.
Furthermore, just like humans, dogs can have food intolerances, such as animals with celiac diseasewho are allergic to gluten.
However, the main foods that can highly poison dogs and should be prohibited in their diet are:
- Grapes and raisins
- Chocolate, tea and coffee
- Star fruit
- Caffeine products
Poisonous plants for dogs
Some plants can poison dogs due to the presence of toxic substances in its leaves, stems, flowers or fruits.
Therefore, it is necessary to always be aware of plants that are poisonous to dogs, as depending on the species of plant, it is possible that it is toxic, without the pet even ingesting it.
For this reason, always make sure you decide to have a new plant at home. Among the main ones are:
- boa constrictor (Epipremnum pinnate)
- Leaf of Fortune (Kalanchoe spp.)
- Adam's Rib (Monstera Delicious)
- Nobody can with me (Dieffenbachia picta Schott)
- Oleander (Nerium oleander L.)
- Mormon (common tick)
- Tinhorão (Caladium Bicolor Vent.)
- Saint George's Sword (Dracaena trifasciata)
- parrot's beak (Euphorbia pulcherrima Willd)
- Glass of milk (Ethiopian Zantedeschia
- Hemlock (Hemlock)
- Azalea (Rhododendron simsii)
Some cleaning products have aggressive chemical ingredients for pets, in addition to the risk of the animal ingesting them.
Therefore, pay attention to how items are stored, so that animals do not have access. Avoid cleaning environments without changing the animal's location and prefer pet friendly cleaning products or less aggressive.
Medicines that can poison dogs
Any and all medications given to your pet must be recommended by your veterinarian. Only the professional can indicate the appropriate measurement for the animal and its particularities, in addition to the correct dosage.
Therefore, the medicine can be toxic when:
- The animal ingests it unintentionally;
- There is incorrect dosage administration;
- Consumption of specific medicines for humans without a doctor’s order;
- The pet ingests medicines from other animals, not prescribed for it.
However, it is important to always consult a veterinarian for specific guidance on anything that could be toxic to your pet.
What is a dog's symptom when it is intoxicated?
Signs may vary depending on the substance ingested and the severity of the poisoning. Furthermore, the symptoms happen quickly, so always observe it.
Signs that your pet has been poisoned:
- Excessive drooling
- Indication of pain
- Seizures (in more severe cases)
What to do?
If you noticed that your dog ingested a substance and was possibly poisoned, it is important that you pay attention to 3 points:
1 – Identification:
Identify which substance was ingested. And, if possible, separate the packaging of the substance to take to the veterinarian.
2 – Quantity:
If possible, see how much your furry friend ingested of the substance. If it was a product, see how much is left in the packaging to get an idea of how much he ate.
3 – Tempo:
Approximately how long ago the amount was ingested.
Immediate first aid
When you notice that the animal is suffering from possible poisoning, remember that the only person who can help correctly is the veterinarian.
That's why, do not induce the animal to vomit putting your hand on your throat, do not administer home remedies. Contact your veterinarian, follow the professional's recommendations and take the animal for care urgently.
Use of activated charcoal
Activated charcoal is a detoxifying agent that can help absorb and eliminate certain toxic substances before they are absorbed by the body.
However, it is important to highlight that activated charcoal should only be administered under veterinary guidanceas depending on the toxic substances, charcoal may not have any effect.
Now that you know all the essential information, always be aware of intoxicating agents and follow the Pet Anjo blog to find out everything about your pet's health and well-being.